Wednesday 23 November 2011

Why Tommy's - Weight Week

I know for me, the key to losing weight is not so much my diet (although that is important) it's exercise. Last time when I lost a lot of weight, I exercised and set constant goals. So this time I've decided to set my goal to run the Bupa London 10k.

I have chosen Tommy's for many reasons. One is, appearing on Daybreak was my first little wake up call. I felt frumpy and out of shape, and I was embarrassed that Adrian Chiles (who it has to be said, is no Twiggy either) asked in the pre-production meeting "well what I don't understand is, why hasn't this woman lost the weight?" I felt embarrassed, and ashamed.

Secondly, I have been talking a lot about weight in pregnancy, and it's time to put my money where my mouth is, as it were, and do something proactive about it. It is not going to lose itself overnight, I have to do it. And if I can do it, anyone can!

Thirdly, I very much credit Tommy's pre eclampsia research for saving my life. My hospital weren't sure what to do and I know that they used Tommy's to get guidance. And I am so grateful that they are here, not only researching and sharing that information, but providing practical help for women, like me.

Fourthly I have been involved as a volunteer with their premature baby support guide, and I'd like to think that the money I raise will help with production and distribution of this.

I'd love to support more charitable works, and clearly Bliss are very close to my heart, so we'll see how this goes!

I am really looking forward to it! I know I can do it, because I have done it before, and I have so much support around me and I know you will all get me through!

2 comments:

  1. Did Adrian Chiles really say that about you? How insensitive! Do not let it get you down. You are a brilliant mum and a very, very talented writer.

    I also wanted to say that I'm in the same situation in that I really need to lose weight. I'm 4 stone overweight, i feel really frumpy (which is effecting my confidence) and my weight just keeps getting bigger and bigger. So I will continue to read about your weight loss journey and, if you don't mind, join the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really did, cheeky man. The producer came and warned me that he might be asking that question on air, and you know, I wouldn't have minded. I could have explained that after my baby came home, breastfeeding failed, I was miserable and found comfort in food, and my anxiety disorder meant I often couldn't leave the house. I'm not proud of it, but I'm lucky I didn't put weight on, I stayed the same as my pre pregnancy weight, so not ideal, but not terrible either!

    I would love for you to join me Vix! More the merrier. One of my problems is, I am comfortable with how I look in some ways, I am used to dressing for my figure, and I feel a bit uncomfortable when I am smaller, and I'd love some support and help with the :)

    ReplyDelete