Wednesday, 14 November 2012

1 Baby 30 Seconds - A Guest Post from MummyPinkwellies


K at MummyPinkwellies has blown me away with this beautifully moving post for World Prematurity Day, she has worked tirelessly to make this day a huge success. I am so grateful to her for her energy, passion and knowhow. She is a perfect partner, and inspiring mum, and I am so glad our experiences have brought us together. 

Also today, over on Mama Baby Bliss there is a guest post from me about World Prematurity Day.  

When Kylie asked me to do a guest post over here for World Prematurity Day I jumped at the chance. Then she suggested I write something about Angels or Spirituality having recently written this post and I got writers block. I find that this always happens when I’m directed to write something, or have a deadline. Usually I can write fairly easily, it just flows, but I started this post 3 or 4 times before I wrote what you are about to read.

Then, as I was deliberating over what to write I read a post on Facebook about a preemie who’s story I had been following. She had sadly died the day before. It caught me out, as this kind of story mostly does. I read it and sobbed. Sobbed for the tiny fragile little girl that had fought so hard in the short time she had lived, sobbed for her mummy, for her family, sobbed because sometimes life is so bloody unfair.

Then literally as I was recovering from that news I then saw this post on World Prematurity Day’s Facebook page





I was staggered. I know the figures, I could tell you them in my sleep. 15 million babies are born prematurely each year, 1 million of these don’t make it. But I hadn’t added it up. Premature birth kills 1 baby every 30 seconds. That’s unbelievable. It’s epidemic. It’s huge!

For me, it means there are 1 million more angels created every year, because yes I do believe in angels. I don’t understand why God takes, or allows to be taken, some and not others. I don’t even try to understand, that is a question we probably won’t know the answer to until we move on to the next world ourselves. I just know, in my heart, that there is a God and I have faith that angels exist.

I don’t know how I would have coped if Littlebit hadn’t have made it. I can’t even begin to imagine it and I don’t want to try to. It’s too devastating.

I know I probably would have hated God, to begin with at least, for taking her from me. But I hope, eventually – probably a long time later, that I would have taken strength from the fact that she was in heaven, with all my loved ones who had passed before, and that she was looking down on me and watching over me for the rest of my life.

I know that she would live on in my heart. Forver.

“You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.” Anne Lamott.

I really hope I’m right about angels. Awful though it is that these poor helpless babies don’t make it, heaven must be a joyous place with them all up there.

Please join us on Saturday 17th November to raise awareness for these babies. The more people who know about prematurity, how it happens and how, in some cases, it can be prevented then the more lives might be saved. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if some of these angels stayed with us here on earth because we shared the message?


Image courtesy of  "Timeless Photography" via FreeDigital Photos

1 comment:

  1. Hiya :) my baby wasn't a premie but I lost my baby as he was very poorly due to undiagnosed vasa previa. It was a huge shock to lose him as we had gone to hospital under the assumption we would be bringing him home. And a day after he was born, he was gone.
    You always wonder how you would cope in a traumatic circumstance but somehow you get the strength from somewhere. As all you premie mums know you have to find it. And now you have inspired me for my world prematurity day blog post :) thank you x

    ReplyDelete