Tuesday, 13 November 2012

100 Years Ago Today

You must see what great love the Father has lavished on us by letting us be called God's children -- which is what we are! The reason why the world does not acknowledge us is that it did not acknowledge him. My dear friends, we are already God's children, but what we shall be in the future has not yet been revealed. We are well aware that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he really is.
The verse above is the one I read at my Nana's funeral. 

100 years ago today my Nana was born, Ada May Turner (nee Connolly). My Nana was my best friend. She lived with us in my teenage years, which I remember with great fondness. She had two rooms in our house, her bedroom and a sitting room, where she would watch Days of Our Lives, knit, and chat.

My fondest early memories are of visiting and staying on their farm in Lilydale in the North of Tasmania, roaming the paddocks, chasing sheep and chickens, baking with her in the farmhouse kitchen she filled with scones, jam, cake and love, lots of it.

As a teenager we would get the bus to town and go shopping for clothes, having lunch in town. We'd spend ages chatting and watching television. My Nana would plot when tradesmen came into the house, trying to find me a husband. She would spend ages listening to my tales when yet another boyfriend unceremoniously dumped me. She wrote me beautiful letters when I was at university, revealing little snippets about her life. 

My Nana bought me books every Christmas, many of which I still cherish. She was passionate about education, about women being independent and having careers, and about children. She was a teacher, and I know she was a very well-loved one. When she died in 1991 the house was full of tributes for her.

Nana believed in me in a way very few people have. She wanted me, very much, to live in England and experience the world in a way she never got a chance to. She also wanted me to be the first female Prime Minister of Australia (gee sorry Nana, Julia beat me to it)

When Joseph was born, and I was so scared and lonely, I thought of Nana often, and how she might counsel me to handle things. My Nana was a woman of quiet but stoic faith. I know she would have said that it was ok to be afraid, but to trust, and have belief, which is what I did. I had a little giggle when Joseph was born a boy. You see I always wanted to call my little girl Ada, as my Nana had been called, but she promised she would haunt me, and not in a good way if I did! I am sure she sent me a little boy!

I never stop missing her. Every day I think of her in one form or another. And, my memories are all fond ones, my Nana was a true angel. And she watches over me still I am sure.




3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Kylie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking for Blue Sky13 November 2012 at 18:57

    Reading this beautiful tribute to your Nan brought back memories of mine. She was born about 110 years ago, and died just a couple of weeks before my eldest was born and I was so sad that she never got to meet her,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice post, I also have fond memories of my grandparents and hence our little ones name is a amalgamation of their names.

    ReplyDelete