Saturday, 17 November 2012

Music and NICU - My top 5

Anyone who knows me will know that I love telling stories with music. When Joseph was in hospital I had lots of relevant music on my iPod quite accidentally. I have never had the heart to remove any of those tracks! Now this top 5 has been collated with some help from my Facebook page and Twitter.



1. Wires by Athlete has to be first. I had this on my iPod and didn't even know it. It was written about a premature baby. It came on random when I was expressing one morning. I had milk everywhere, mixed with tears. I listen to this song now and it brings all those emotions flooding back.

 

2. To Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan via Adele has always been a song I've loved, and maybe its not a natural NICU song, but I think the lyrics are appropriate. When you have had a premature baby you worry that they may not feel your love, stuck in a plastic box, suspended in a half life. I felt like Joseph had to make his mind up, and this song just summed up the guilt and regret I felt.



3. The Scientist by Coldplay via Glee this song was on my iPod too (not this version I just love it), and I felt it just hit the spot. "Nobody said it was easy, nobody said it would be this hard" just summed up how I felt. I just wanted to go back to the start and make this pre eclampsia history, and start afresh. When on Day 5 I was told that Joseph would not be coming home I felt that line "questions of science, science and progress, don't speak as loud as my heart". My heart was screaming that Joseph would be ok, even though the science was saying no.

 

4. Run by Snow Patrol via Leona Lewis I really love this version, there's something very soothing about Leona's voice. I love the line "you've been the only thing that's right in all I've done.....and I can barely look at you but every single time I do, I know we'll make it anywhere away from here", a perfect song for NICU. I will always associate this song with our time, especially towards the middle, when things got tough.



 5. Rule the World by Take That via Eliott Minor was the first version I ever heard of this song, it too was on my iPod, and I love it so much. "The stars are coming out tonight they're lighting up the sky tonight, for you, for you", it's just so apt and I know it resonates with a lof you as well

I love hearing about the music that speaks to you, please share your NICU songs.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I used to love and adore music and had it comfort me in pain, be with me in excitement and just be part of my life for every backdrop. Looking back, I never realised but it seems that NICU was a bit of a turning point in where I started finding it really painful to listen to anything; so many songs (apart from crass pop songs) seemed to have at least one lyric which fitted my sad mood and would make me cry. It's been only relatively recently I've started to properly listen to music again but still well up to practically anything! I love but can't do 'Wires'. Am a mess by note 2!

    ReplyDelete