Friday, 23 November 2012

Six Songs of Me

I love bloggers who break their own rules! Kate runs the great Listography which I join in from time to time, this time its 6 Songs of Me. Usually Listography is five things, but if you can't break your own rules, then really, life is no fun at all. And, late edit, I have 7 songs. So shoot me.

1. What was the first song you ever bought?
I've always been an album purchaser rather than song buyer, but I did buy singles a few times and I can proudly say my first one was "Dominon" by Sisters of Mercy, a song I still love now. And no I wasn't a goth, sadly.



2. What song always gets you dancing?
You can take the girl out of Tassie.......I first heard this song at a school social in grade 8. I even managed to dance with a boy I liked (who soon forgot me, story of my life) but when I went back early last year, I heard this song come on in a pub and I was 13 again, dancing with my friends.



3. What song takes you back to your childhood?
I have always loved music and this one is a hard choice. I decided on this one in the end, as this is probably the first pop song I ever heard, and the video is just beautiful.




4. What is your perfect love song?
My enduring favourite love song is this one. I could have chosen the original, but I love this version by Australian comedy group Doug Anthony All Stars, for its simplicity, three voices and a guitar. The lyrics never fail to make me cry.



5. What song would you want at your funeral?
I have often thought about what I would want played at my funeral, is that morbid? I am pretty sure that this would be the last thing played as my coffin disappeared behind the curtain for the last time. I learnt to sing it at school, play it on the guitar and violin, and I just love the lyrics. Every expat Aussie has their Peter Allen moment I am sure.




6. Time for the encore. One last song that make you you.
This was a difficult choice, but for me it had to be a Manchester song, one that I knew and loved when I lived in Australia. This song is so sad, yet has an element of hope to it too, in the melody if not the lyric. Manchester is my spiritual home. When I moved here, things felt "right". My life began when I arrived here, when I walked along Deansgate, up through St Peter's Square, into Picadilly Gardens it all felt familiar. This song encapsulates all that is amazing about this city I have grown to know and love.




Here is my cheat song

Unless you've been living under a rock, it's been 5 weeks since I "came out" and talked a little about things. I've been undergoing counselling and am on medication for anxiety and post traumatic stress. This song is my victorious song. When life threatens to swamp me, and memories are getting me down, this my anthem.


3 comments:

  1. Great selection of songs Kylie. I particularly like your 'anthem'. May it always serve to lift you up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7!!?! I was going to slap your wrist but under the circumstances I think we can let you off. So pleased you have some out of this fighting.


    I adore your encore track. I'm presuming you've seen 'Control' - amazing film, as were the band, as are you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's not surprising that two of those songs could have been on my list: Butterfly Ball and Throw Your Arms Around Me.

    ReplyDelete