Friday, 9 November 2012

Values and Blogging



I don't know whether you have ever read Ruth's lovely blog Dorkymum. It's a great read, and very different from other blogs I read. She wrote a brilliant post this week about values.

Last week I was having one of my crisis of confidence, which doesn't happen so often and Ruth wrote on my Facebook status "You have good values and are a person of great integrity." It wasn't until I read this post from Ruth I realised  just what high praise that sentence was.

Values are important to me. Different blogs espouse different values, and I think that's great. I love some of the more commercial blogs, and creative blogs. I think there's room for all of us. I don't run sponsored posts but do the odd review, and when I do that sometimes I feel like I am not staying true to my blog's values. It's a difficult balance.

However, Ruth's post got me thinking in a different way too. I love being a "premmie mum blogger", but the premature side of my personal life is slipping further and further away. But I don't want to lose this blog, but maybe a change of focus is in order.

What is lovely is that thinking about the core values of my blog has helped me think about this new direction further. I will never go away from issues around prematurity or sharing inspirational stories of premature birth. One of my other passions is disability issues, and I have been involved in disability advocacy in one form or another for over 25 years.

Daniel's posts yesterday and the day before have shown me that there are so many untold stories, so much people don't know about these amazing individuals living lives that are at once ordinary and extraordinary. I think really I have just scraped the surface of this blog's potential and there are some exciting new directions ahead for me.

To me the core values of this blog are honesty, integrity, charity, positivity, bravery and strength. And that doesn't just come from me, that comes from all of you who have commented, shared, held my hand, hugged me, wiped my tears, given me a much needed kick up the backside on occasion, and given me so much love.

Next week will be dedicated to prematurity day, and I hope you enjoy the posts and are inspired to take part.

Thank you to all of you for all your support.

1 comment:

  1. charlotte.cheshire11 November 2012 at 11:21

    Rather than changing the focus of this blog, as I suspect you'll always need an outlet on prematurity issues, what about starting a new version of sugar for disability voices? I suspect many followers would follow that one, certainly I would as dealing with Adams disabilities means I need to become part of that community. That way sugar could stay as is, particularly for new premmie mums to find when they're in the middle of the whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete