Monday, 11 March 2013

Gratitiude - MAD Blog Awards

This year I took the unusual step of asking not to be nominated for a MAD Blog Award. There were two main reasons for this. The first is that when the award nominations were taking place, I wasn't actively blogging, having just started my new job.

The second reason is this. Being nominated for Most Inspiring Blog in 2011 completely changed my blogging life. It gave me confidence that I did, in fact, have something to say. It gave me confidence as a writer, and it also gave me confidence as an activist. I felt I could sell myself to charities and to PR agencies.

I met amazing people in the lead up to the ceremony, and at the event itself. I adored the whole experience and wanted other bloggers to get the same opportunties I have had.

Yesterday my good friend Jennie shared the news that she had been nominated for the 2013 Outstanding Contribution Award. I was thrilled for her! I clicked on the link to check out the competition, so many of my favourite bloggers, many of whom I consider good friends. And then I saw it. Not Even A.... um, that's me!

Not Even A because Kylie is an absolute rock for Mums in the premature baby community, generous with her time and advice. Kylie campaigns tirelessly for Bliss and baby charities to raise awareness of neo-natal care, and has inspired bloggers in the past year by overcoming huge adversity and still sharing support with other members of the community.
That just means the world to me. I love our special premature and sick babies, and I am passionate about parents.  Being a parent of any baby is hugely daunting and terrifying at times, as much as it is wonderous, and being the parent of a premature baby presents its own unique challenges. I have worked hard and done my best to be true and to be honest. So many times I have received messages saying "thank you, I didnt know it was ok to feel like that". Being able to get alongside a mum or dad and say "I don't have the answers, but I am right beside you" is what Not Even A Bag of Sugar is all about.

I'm not an expert. Just a mum. A mum who found having a premature baby completely rocked her world to its core, and struggled with fear, anxiety and anger. Who at times felt like she was flying she was so happy, and then would come crashing down in a screaming heap. She realised, over time, this roller coaster is completely normal, and that others needed to know it was normal too.

2012 was tough. I learnt some hard lessons, that although my trauma with Joseph is pretty much over, that my own personal childhood trauma is not. I learnt I hadn't really nurtured friendships and felt alone. I learnt that friendship comes in all shapes and sizes. I have learnt so much about myself, and have come out of it a better person, and a better writer. But it hasn't been easy.

I have been so blessed that through blogging I have found my calling and now work for Bliss in a job that I dearly love, helping other parents by recruiting and supporting volunteers.

This category, and it deserves its own post, contains the most amazing group of women, all of whom I have met. All of whom have their own unique stories and writing style. All of whom are role models and outstanding. It really does not matter now what happens.

I feel blessed to have been recognised, and I tell you what, boy am I looking forward to the party!!!!

Thank you to each and every one of you who thought of me, and to Sally and the team.

See you soon!


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! A much deserved nomination. It's lovely to hear how last year's awards had such a positive impact and I hope this year's do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You deserve it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations, I'm not that familiar with your blog and a prem baby is not something I've experienced, but it seems that you are well worthy of this recognition and I wish you the best of luck x

    ReplyDelete
  4. flights to jeddah16 March 2013 at 09:16

    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first

    comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

    I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    flights to Umrah

    cheap flight to jeddah

    flights to jeddah

    umrah jeddah flights

    umrah flights from London

    cheap flights to umrah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, its nice piece of writing on the topic of media print, we all
    be familiar with media is a great source of facts.


    Here is my web site: bmi calculation

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are features that allow you to keep track of vendors
    that you like and keep notes so you know why they are listed.
    Fortunately, our minister has neither, and he's asked very little of us as well. So even though it's
    been annoying at times that I've had to do most of the planning of this wedding myself, it's been good for
    the same person to have an understanding of everything that's going on.

    My web-site wedding website album

    ReplyDelete
  7. A result of the immense size and strength that these animals can grow to means pets should
    be leash trained from a young age. You should teach your dog and talk to him during training sessions.
    We turn off the TV.

    my page ... bird dog training advice

    ReplyDelete
  8. The players would begin as members of the SCA,
    going to Phoenix for the Estrella War. I've played Nancy Drew for years and even her saccharine personality is more 3D than Lindsay or 'Linds') as she calls herself. Every Halloween party that people remember later in the year by saying things like "Do you remember so-and-so's Halloween party last year.


    Also visit my web-site - t Mobile

    ReplyDelete