Wednesday, 10 April 2013

All My Loving - The Story of a Lullabye

Nothing is sweeter than singing your baby a lullaby. The first lullaby I ever sang to Joseph was in special care. It was a Friday night, we'd had a hell of a week, and Joseph was finally stable. It was nearly time for us to go home.

I opened the doors of the incubator and gently and softly sang

"Close your eyes and I'll kiss you
Tomorrow I'll miss you
Remember I'll always be true
And then while I'm away
I'll write home every day
                                                  And I'll send all my loving to you"

I looked up and there were tears in the eyes of the two nurses looking after Joseph, and a little tear slipped down my cheek too. I so wanted to hold my baby, to rock him to sleep, to really love him and cherish him properly. But he had to sleep in his plastic box.

Safe sleeping has always been something close to my heart. Since my friend Jennie at Edspire lost her precious Matilda Mae safe sleeping and sudden infant death syndrome have become something even closer to my heart. Every year 600 babies are taken inexplicably from their parents. It shouldn't be this way, and every loss is so heartbreaking.

I am delighted that FSID has changed their name to The Lullaby Trust. It's a fitting name for special babies and their parents to help communicate the importance of safe sleep, and keeping our babies as safe as we can from sudden infant death syndrome.

For our premature babies in particular, are at higher risk. It is also difficult for many of them, like Joseph, when they come home. For developmental reasons, like in the picture above, babies sleep in a variety of positions to ensure their developing bones, particularly the skull, grow correctly. When they come home, they have to get used to "back to sleep".

One thing that remains constant, is the lullaby. Sometimes a traditional one like "twinkle twinkle" sometimes a rock song slowed down, one of my favourites is "Sweet Child of Mine" which works really well as a lullaby.

Please support The Lullaby Trust in any way you can and help spread the safe sleep message.

7 comments:

  1. A lovely post, Kylie. I sang to Esther and William all the time in NICU. I have just made a photo montage of Matilda to Sweet Child of Mine for a Lullaby Trust post. It is a perfect lullaby x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful, heartfelt post. 'Nothing is sweeter than singing your baby a lullaby' - exactly how I feel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) What a lovely choice of the first lullaby. Joseph is so tiny in the picture! I can picture you singing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paint such a poignant picture. I can see exactly why the nurses were crying...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. So glad your little star made it home safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I see pictures of Joseph as a newborn I cannot believe he is the same child now! You have both come so far! A beautiful post. Thank you so much for helping to raise awareness of The Lullaby Trust
    xx

    ReplyDelete