Monday, 1 April 2013

Peace in the NICU

"If we have no peace it's because we have forgotten we belong to one another "
Mother Teresa

I am not a very good memento keeper. This weekend we have been doing a large scale tidy up and I found this.

It's a plastic bag and inside is a wedding photograph, Joseph's cot label and a leaflet I picked up from the chapel the day before Joseph was born, entitled "Perfect Peace".

Unlike a lot of parents, I had been in neonatal units before Joseph was born. My dear friends had had a baby born prematurely in Australia and I visited him in both units that he was accommodated in. Then I did a period as a volunteer in my local unit in Launceston.

I knew that Joseph would be exposed to excessive light, noise and that he would be apart from me, his mummy, for long periods every day. I wished, as well as health and a swift recovery, peace for my little boy. As I hastily grabbed my bag to take to hospital, not knowing for sure that I would deliver early, I slipped in a wedding photograph. If we could not be there all the time, our picture would look over him. I chose one full of joy, sunshine and happiness.

I am not strictly speaking any religion, I identify most strongly with Christianity as this is what I know, and how my spirituality manifests itself. On that leaflet that we left for Joseph had the following quote:

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you, I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27
 It gave me peace knowing that someone was always with Joseph. I trusted in that peace. I felt at all times Joseph was in safe hands, not just the nurses and doctors, but Someone Else, and that gave me enormous peace.

I am not a momento keeper, and I will blog about this more for the Bliss blog in the coming weeks.

I am so glad though, that I kept this little plastic bag, as a reminder of all we went through and the happy ending we have. 


2 comments:

  1. That's lovely! I think that quote says a lot whether one believes in God or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you took a wedding photo. I too am not good at organising momentos but find them in bags years later. Always a nice surprise :)

    ReplyDelete