Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Stranger Danger

house
Joseph came home yesterday very excited. The local police team had been to the school. Joseph got to go in a police car and got "the talk". Joseph was full of information about what to do if approached by a stranger. Now this is right and important, don't get me wrong. We have had reports in Bury of a man in a car attempting to lure children, in the light of the recent Rochdale grooming trial
stranger danger needs to be on the agenda. However this is where I get nervous. I asked Joseph what he would do if a stranger approached him, and he told me. To be personal body safety is very important, and I think it should be covered from an early age. In the light of the current April Jones trail and the recent conviction of Tia Sharp's killer, it is equally relevant that we need to teach children that it is not just strangers.

 I knew all about stranger danger at 5, but I had no idea that someone you knew could hurt you and do things that were wrong and hurtful, that the tickling games, the hide and seek, the bathtimes were not innocent. They were abuse. The horror doesn't have to be the stranger in the dark car, the horror can be next door. Striking a balance with body safety is so important. Kids need to have a childhood, be happy, be confident, but they need to be safe. When I blogged my own experience back in October in my Jimmy Savile is dead post, I was contacted by Jayneen Sanders who has developed a book and training package called "Some Secrets Should Never Be Kept" I am using this with Joseph and finding it effective. I would strongly recommend this book, it can be hard to know where to start.

But start we must.

No comments:

Post a Comment