Friday, 1 November 2013

World Prematurity Month

The whole month of November is World Prematurity Month culminating in World Prematurity Day on November 17th. World Prematurity Day is important to me personally for many reasons. This year I am dyeing my hair purple. This seems trivial in a way, but I am making an important point. I am very conservative. I don't like drawing attention to my looks at all. My hair is plain brown and long. The thought of having purple hair and people staring at me makes me feel sick. I am having it bleached and dyed permanently purple, not just some rinse in rinse out job. You can sponsor me here

I am attending an important function, with purple hair. The thought of being amongst consultants, nurses and managers with purple hair really turns my stomach. But I'll do it. 

No one choses premature birth, no baby choses to be born prematurely. Like many people I didn't realise the full impact of premature birth, and I probably knew more than many, having been a carer for adults with cerebral palsy, born prematurely in the 1950's and 60's before corticosteroids, non invasive ventilation, surfactant and all the other things we take for granted.

But even now, premature birth has grave implications for babies and their families. You only need to read Premmediatations to realise that.

Every day I am grateful to the staff who worked on Joseph, and on me. I am so grateful that he has recovered from his pre term birth. We are blessed.

However, the story continues for thousands of parents in the UK and millions around the world. We still aren't very good at preventing pre term birth. In many countries they don't have access to corticosteroids, to incubators, to oxygen. Simple measures here that save lives and prevent many disabilites.

There is a lot of work to be done. And a lot of people around the world dedicated to making this happen.

Having Joseph prematurely has opened my eyes to many things, and this month I want to share some of those things, some of the issues, some of the organisations and people that are really working to make a difference to premature babies and families around the world.

Join us in raising awareness and celebrating our amazing children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment