Monday, 11 August 2014

Blackberry Swiss Roll ( #Greatbloggersbakeoff2014 #1 Cake)

Last year, as an avid watcher of Great British Bake Off I followed the Bloggers Bake Off and wished I had joined in the fun. So this year I waited with baited breath to see if Jenny was reprising the linky and to my delight she has.



Part of my recover from my recent PTSD relapse has been to focus on my hobbies outside being a mummy and work. I was watching the Bake off with my husband who expressed a hankering for Swiss Roll. Joseph was desparate to pick blackberries that are already ripening in our area, so a blackberry Swiss Roll seemed the perfect way to marry both boys' requests.

I first made a simple jam like concoction with a cup of blackberries and half a cup of sugar. I cooked this gently on the stove for a few minutes until it had thickened then put it in a china bowl to cool.

Whilst this was cooling I made the sponge. On Bake off they separated eggs and whites but ain't nobody got time for that, and in my opinion it was just an added step to make it look more complicated.

I used 4 eggs, 110 grams of light brown sugar, 100g self raising flour and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I used light brown as I felt the slightly caramelised flavour would go well with the blackberries. I whisked the eggs and sugar in my trusty kitchen aid, then lowered the speed to add the flour.

I cooked the sponge for ten minutes then turned out on parchment and rolled it up. Next time true to my school training, for the last time I made a swiss roll was in grade 8 in 1985, I will use a damp teatowel.

I then whipped some cream. Whilst it was doing its thing I spread the jam mixture on the sponge, added the rest to the cream, and then spread the cream on top, scattering blackberries as I went. Then rolled. It cracked. I had kept it rolled too long before unrolling I think, You can't really tell there's a huge crack but Paul and Mary would have been displeased.

The husband commented on how light the sponge was and how delicious the blackberries were. I think adding them to the cream was a really good idea, and it makes it such a pretty colour.

It was a delicious end to Sunday dinner and I am keen to try again!






1 comment:

  1. awww i am so glad you are joining in :)
    ooooh yummy i love the colour that the blackberries made to the filling cream and it looks so good too! lovely
    xx

    ReplyDelete